Commissioned by Das Hessisches Staatstheater Wiesbaden
„Oryx and Crake“ tells the story of the only human survivor on Earth. In flash-backs, revealing only bit by bit, we must ourselves put together the pieces of the drama that lead to the apocalypse. The opera unfolds within 24 hours, beginning at dawn and finishing the next morning.
Atwood’s love-triangle offers plenty of classic music drama, her dystopia is painted in complex, industrial soundscapes and the post-armageddon solitude in contemporary-contemplative open spaces. Electronics extend and augment the orchestral colours and help achieving the unreal „haunted“ atmosphere and the different reality levels of the protagonist’s memory.
- New Opera Highlights from Wise Music Classical
- Wise Music Classical invites you to explore new highlights from our opera catalogue. In these recent and upcoming premieres, new productions, and premiere recordings, our composers and their creative collaborators explore subjects ranging from the historical (Hadrian, X: The Life and Times of Malcom X, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly) to the futuristic (Oryx and Crake), the fantastic (El Ultimo Sueño de Frida y Diego, Florencia en el Amazonas, Die Kinder des Sultans) to the thoroughly contemporary (Grounded, Blue, Innocence, The Shell Trial). Threaded throughout these works are perennial themes of loss, longing, magic, art-making, and community.
- Margaret Atwood inspires
- Known for her powerful stories and her piercing depictions of the world, award-winning novelist Margaret Atwood has gone on to inspire the operatic world.
- World Premiere of Søren Nils Eichberg's opera based on Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake
- 19th January 2023
- 18 February 2023 will see the long-waited premiere of Søren Eichberg’s new opera Oryx and Crake based on the novel by the great Canadian author, Margaret Atwood.