Commissioned by Jyväskylä Sinfonia
The Ring of Fire is a volcanic belt that surrounds the Pacific Ocean and in which most of the world’s earthquakes occur. It is also the term referring to the bright ring of sunlight around the moon at the height of a solar eclipse, when the moon covers only the central part of the sun. Yet, the same expression is also used to describe what a woman feels when, as she gives birth, the baby’s head passes through her pelvis. That moment is the most dangerous in the baby’s life, its little skull being subjected to enormous pressure, preparing it for life in a way unlike any other. The Ring of Fire and Love is a work for orchestra about this earth-shattering, creative, cataclysmic moment they travel through together.
- Outi Tarkiainen's portrait album with Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra
- 9th February 2024
- Outi Tarkiainen's portrait album with Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra, Nick Collon and Nicholas Daniel
- Nicholas Daniel to give UK Premiere of Tarkiainen's Milky Ways
- 20th October 2023
- Nicholas Daniel, the BBC Symphony Orchestra and David Afkhaml give the UK premiere of Milky Ways by Outi Tarkiainen at the Barbican in London on October 27.
- October 13, 2022 is Outi Tarkiainen Day
- 9th October 2022
- On October 13, 2022, Outi Tarkiainen’s orchestral work The Ring of Fire and Love is being performed in three different places simultaneously. That doesn't happen often!