Commissioned by Royal Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra
The Ring of Fire is a volcanic belt that surrounds the Pacific Ocean and in which most of the world’s earthquakes occur. It is also the term referring to the bright ring of sunlight around the moon at the height of a solar eclipse, when the moon covers only the central part of the sun. Yet, the same expression is also used to describe what a woman feels when, as she gives birth, the baby’s head passes through her pelvis. That moment is the most dangerous in the baby’s life, its little skull being subjected to enormous pressure, preparing it for life in a way unlike any other. The Ring of Fire and Love is a work for orchestra about this earth-shattering, creative, cataclysmic moment they travel through together.
- Nicholas Daniel to give UK Premiere of Tarkiainen's Milky Ways
- 20th October 2023
- Nicholas Daniel, the BBC Symphony Orchestra and David Afkhaml give the UK premiere of Milky Ways by Outi Tarkiainen at the Barbican in London on October 27.
- Outi Tarkiainen at the Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra, Theme Composer & World Premiere
- 13th January 2023
- Outi Tarkiainen is one this season’s theme composer at the Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra. The composer's tenure will present the World Premiere of her Concerto for English Horn Milky Ways.
- October 13, 2022 is Outi Tarkiainen Day
- 9th October 2022
- On October 13, 2022, Outi Tarkiainen’s orchestral work The Ring of Fire and Love is being performed in three different places simultaneously. That doesn't happen often!