Commissioned for Augustin Hadelich by the Oregon Symphony, Carlos Kalmar, Music Director; the Aspen Music Festival and School; and the philharmonie zuidnederland.
Written especially for the violinist Augustin Hadelich, this is actually my first multi-movement concerto. People have referred to my Elastic Harmonic of 2005 as a violin concerto, but actually I have thought of that always as a one-movement piece for violin and orchestra where the solo violin is suspended above consistently. This on the other hand, plays on the dialogue between the solo and the mass constantly, and the mass of the orchestra itself splinters into smaller shards. The first movement especially zooms in and out of various perspectives. I think of this aerial zooming as being essential to its nature. The second movement feels redolent of the sea to me. The sea always emerges in my music it seems. Maybe it has to do with growing up in Ireland, surrounded by water on all sides. There is a real feeling of yearning to this movement. It was written during the first lockdown of the pandemic, and I feel that a kind of desire to transcend the conditions of everyday life permeates this movement. The final movement is more earthy and cheeky. A strange, splintered, fierce jig eventually appears and then abstractions of that start to eat away at the very fabric of the music, when the violin threatens to spiral everything out of control leading to a fierce conclusion on the very edge of what is possible!
— Donnacha Dennehy
- Donnacha Dennehy: Music for Dance
- The music of Donnacha Dennehy is subversive and poetic. His distinctive style reflects a wide range of musical influences, including minimalism, spectralism, and traditional Irish sean-nós (“old style”) singing. This curated playlist of Dennehy’s music highlights the possibilities for new dance creations.
- German Premiere of Violin Concerto by Donnacha Dennehy with Augustin Hadelich
- 4th September 2023
- Donnacha Dennehy’s Violin Concerto receives its German premiere as part of Musikfest Berlin with soloist Augustin Hadelich, Konzerthausorchester Berlin and conductor Joana Mallwitz on September 9.
- Summer 2023 Premieres by Donnacha Dennehy
- 12th June 2023
- This June and July will see world and regional premieres of three exciting new works by composer Donnacha Dennehy.
- Major Dennehy Premieres Commence the New Season
- 8th September 2022
- At the top of the 22/23 season, composer Donnacha Dennehy enjoys a number of world and country premieres across the United States and Europe.