Wise Music Classical | Job Vacancy | Music Editor
2nd May 2019
Job Title: Music Editor
Reporting to: Managing Editor, Chester Music Limited/Novello & Company Limited (part of Wise Music Group)
Location: Berners Street, London
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Wise Music Group is one of the World’s leading music publishers, owning and managing over 200,000 popular and classical music copyrights. The Group is privately owned by one family over several generations, and the UK Head Office is situated in London, in the West End.
The Music Editor supports the Managing Editor in the delivery of composer-related scores and materials controlled by Wise Music Group UK classical publishing companies (and sometimes by MSG affiliate companies without editorial resource), on a timely basis and to a high standard to enable the distribution of these published works for premiere, sale and on hire.
Shaping the Business
• Maintaining high standards of editorial accuracy and presentation for the company’s publications;
• Maintaining working relationships with freelance editors, typesetters and proofreaders as necessary and on terms appropriate to support the publishing schedules;
• Being an active part of the review of systems to maximize the efficiency and cost-effectiveness of the delivery of publishing schedules.
Developing the Product Offering
• Delivering new works and editions in printed form for distribution on premiere, sale or hire;
• Delegating editorial, type-setting and proofing responsibility to individuals who are most appropriate to the job in hand.
• Presenting for discussion ideas for new publications which have the potential to attract attention and produce income;
Taking the Product and Service to the Customer/Market
• Editing and proofreading publications as necessary;
• Delivering new publications and masters according to schedule;
• Taking direct responsibility for the delivery of new works by designated composers;
• Circulating information on such new materials within the company.
Managing the Money
• Ensuring the delivery of new publications according to budget;
• Controlling setting, editorial and proofing costs within agreed parameters.
Managing Information and Knowledge
• Participating in overseeing the efficient application and maintenance of database resources within the Department;
• Proposing developments to existing database resources and systems to improve efficiency in this area;
• Overseeing the regular dissemination of new title/master information within the company;
• Providing administrative support to the editorial department.
The Job-Holder has all necessary direct access to the data, systems and human resources required to realise these responsibilities.
The Job-Holder may be called upon to:
• Identify areas for improvement;
• Evaluate and select ideas for improvement;
• Propose ideas for new systems to support the publication of new titles;
• Encourage others to come forward with innovation.
The Job-Holder has to work collaboratively with a range of internal people and departments including:
• Wise Music Editorial/Production
• Managing Director, Chester Music Ltd / Novello & Co Ltd
The Job-Holder has to liaise, influence and negotiate with a range of people and organisations including:
• The Company’s composers;
• Managers and agents of the composers;
• Freelance editors, typesetters and proofreaders;
• Editorial staff within Wise Music Group’s affiliated companies.
The Job-Holder is also responsible for responding to related enquiries received from members of the public.
Many editorial projects require the Job-Holder to be able to deliver new publications according to short-term and specific deadlines. The Job-Holder must be able to manage many projects at once and to identify and successfully to identify and respond to priorities.
DELEGATED DECISION RIGHTS
The Job-Holder has full authority to:
• Delegate projects to freelance typesetters, editors and proofreaders within agreed parameters.
TASKS & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Management and execution of allocated editorial projects including desk proofreading and editing where appropriate;
• Invoice processing;
• ISSUU (digital publication platform) score preparation and upload;
• Entry of publication data to internal databases;
• Creation of product/EAN codes and recording information appropriately;
• The preparation of score materials for digital dissemination.
SKILLS & BEHAVIOURAL REQUIREMENTS
• Music degree level or equivalent required.
• Direct working experience of music editorial environment, either as a publisher employee or as a freelancer, is preferable.
• Knowledge of music editorial practices and of software typesetting systems is preferable.
• Knowledge of the MSG classical catalogue and its composers is ideal.
Skills and Abilities
• The Job-Holder should preferably have existing ability to desk-edit.
• The Job-Holder should preferably be familiar with Adobe InDesign and Acrobat or willing to learn.
• Experience with Sibelius software is highly desirable.
The Job-Holder must be:
• A team player;
• Concise and clear communicator;
• Flexible in approach to dealing with a broad church of music and composers;
• Enthusiastic as regards the work of MSG’s composers and of Wise Music Group as a whole.
Core working hours are 0930 to 1730 Monday to Friday, however you will need to be flexible and able to work additional hours as required ensuring deadlines are met.
Please send your CV with a covering letter explaining your suitability for the position, to email@example.com by May 31, 2019.