Commissioned for Jennifer Koh by the National Symphony Orchestra, the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, and BBC Radio 3, with support by ARCO Collaborative.
Soloist exclusivity through February 2, 2024.
I. Procession in a Spiral
II. St, Vitus
III. O My Soul
IV. Bone to Bone, Blood to Blood
V. Procession Ascending
Violin Concerto (Procession) casts the soloist as a soothsayer, sorcerer, healer and pied piper-type character, leading the orchestra through five interconnected healing spells. Part one, “Procession in a Spiral,” references medieval penitential processions; part two, “St. Vitus,” is an homage to the patron saint of dancing, who could reportedly cast out evil spirits; part three, “O My Soul,” is a twisted reworking of the hymn of the same name, and part four, “Bone to Bone, Blood to Blood,” derives its name from the 9th-century Merseburg Charm, a spell meant to cure broken limbs. In the final movement, “Procession Ascending,” the soloist straightens out the spiral of the first section and leads the orchestra straight into the sky. Violin Concerto (Procession) was commissioned by the National Symphony and the Cincinnati Symphony for soloist Jennifer Koh.
— Missy Mazzoli
- Adelaide Festival Features Wise Music Works
- 2nd March 2023
- Adelaide Festival premieres works by Outi Tarkiainen and Missy Mazzoli, along with performances of iconic works by the powerhouse duo William Barton and Veronique Serret.
- Missy Mazzoli European Concerts in August – October 2022
- 25th August 2022
- The music of American composer Missy Mazzoli is being seen and heard far and wide across Europe this Summer. Throughout August and September Mazzoli has been present for many of these events.
- BBC Proms 2022: Premieres and performances
- 26th April 2022
- There is nothing in the world quite like the BBC Proms. 2022 is no exception with a host of Wise Music Classical new commissions and notable performances.
- Koh, New, and National Symphony Orchestra debut Mazzoli Violin Concerto
- 3rd February 2022
- Jennifer Koh and the National Symphony Orchestra led by Gemma New premiere Missy Mazzoli's Violin Concert (Procession)