Jointly commissioned by Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin, the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra, Music and Artistic Director Gustavo Dudamel, and the BBC. First performed on 23 February 2023 at Walt Disney Concert Hall by the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Otto Tausk.
Unavailable for performance.
The piece is cast in three movements, and each takes its starting point from a different poem associated with Joy. The first movement is muted and melancholy in nature, layering long woodwind lines with keening string melodies. Sudden bright outbursts, firstly in brass and percussion and later for full orchestra come more to the foreground, with the movement ending in a blaze of activity.
The second movement is lively and dance-like. Whirling woodwind gestures lead to moments of outpouring, featuring soaring horn lines and rapid runs in strings and woodwind. From this activity, moments of repose emerge; long melodic lines always punctuated by insistent pulsing in celesta and glockenspiel.
The third movement begins with absolute calm, the atmosphere is hazy, a kind of a musical representation of bliss. This is juxtaposed by intense, rapid falling lines in woodwind and pitched percussion. The piece ends with a sort of muted lullaby.
Programme note © 2020 Helen Grime
- Kent Nagano to premiere new work by Helen Grime
- 29th September 2023
- Kent Nagano and the Hamburg Philharmonic premiere River by Helen Grime on 8 October 2023
- Helen Grime premiere at the BBC Proms
- 18th July 2023
- The BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra and Ryan Wigglesworth give the European Premiere of Helen Grime's Meditations on Joy at the BBC Proms on 23 July 2023.
- BBC Proms 2023 highlights include Weir and Grime premieres
- 20th April 2023
- The BBC Proms return this summer with eight weeks of live music featuring contemporary classics as well as standout World and European premieres from the Wise Music catalogues.
- LA Phil premieres joyful new work by Helen Grime
- 17th February 2023
- Los Angeles Philharmonic and conductor Otto Tausk give the world premiere of Meditations on Joy by Helen Grime at Walt Disney Concert Hall on February 23.
- Helen Grime Trumpet Concert US premiere at Tanglewood
- 28th June 2022
- Trumpeter Håkan Hardenberger, the Boston Symphony Orchestra and Music Director Andris Nelsons give the US Premiere of Helen Grime’s Trumpet Concerto at Tanglewood Music Festival on July 10.