Co-Commissioned by the London Philharmonic Orchestra, Borusan Culture Arts Centre, Dresden Philharmonie, Orquesta Nacionales de Espanã and Orchestre de Paris for Katia and Marielle Labèque. The first performance took place on 13 April 2018 at the Royal Festival Hall, London, conducted by John Storgårds.
Exclusive to soloists Katia and Marielle Labèque until 2022.
- 2 Pianos; Reduced version: 2(pic).1.2(bcl).2(cbn)/1120/timp.3perc/[hp]/str(126.96.36.199.2)
- 2 Pianos
- 23 min
The piece was composed for Katia, Marielle and the London Philharmonic Orchestra throughout 2017, with a large portion of the development taking place in Katia and Marielle’s piano studio on Rue Quincampoix in Paris and their house on the Basque coast where they spend most of the summer. I spent a lot of time familiarising myself with the repertoire they have performed over the years, and doing research on the deeply personal and intertwined musical history and style that they share. I also shared the score with them several times as it developed, to get their feedback and to be sure the ideas were translating well to the piano. I had previously composed a 20-minute piano duo for them in 2015 called El Chan, which they have toured extensively and recorded. Working on this first duo piece together was a great learning experience for me, in shaping how to address the challenges of writing for two pianos.
My Concerto is a tribute to two great musicians who I am honoured to work with and who I am even luckier to call my friends.
- Bryce Dessner, April 2018
- Dessner’s Concerto for Two Pianos Returns to the US
- 29th November 2023
- The Concerto for Two Pianos by Bryce Dessner is back in the United States, with two major performances this season featuring the towering piano duo of Katia and Marielle Labèque.
- Bryce Dessner and Casco Phil
- 9th January 2023
- Casco Phil present two concerts with an all Bryce Dessner programme: Trombone Concerto, St. Carolyn by the Sea and Concerto for Two Pianos.
- Performances of Bryce Dessner in October and November
- 5th October 2022
- October and November bring us a wealth of music by Bryce Dessner in Europe.