A Glasgow 1990 City of Culture Commission from Glasgow District Council
- SSAATTBB (with a number of small roles)
- Soprano, Mezzo soprano, Tenor, 2 Baritones (high and low)
- 1 hr 30 min
- the composer, from work edited by J F Campbell of Isaly
1. The Inheritance: a man dies, but his legacy is missing: one of his three sons must have stolen it, but which one? The Doctor investigates by telling the sons a tale of a woman, forbidden to marry her lover, and married off to a richer man.
2. The Disappearance: on the birth of the Bride and Bridegroom's daughter, the husband leaves to fetch the Priest who will christen her, but on the way is lured into a brightly lit hillside - the "Land of the Young". His friend is accused of murder.
3. The Stranger: a handsome prosperous stranger arrives to woo the daughter, now a young woman. The girl is suspicious, and a passing preacher tells her he is obviously the Devil: she retires to a holy spot and the Devil is unable to harm her.