- Bryce Dessner
St. Carolyn by the Sea (2011)
- Chester Music Ltd (World)
Bryce Dessner’s St. Carolyn by the Sea was commissioned and premiered by ACO with the support of LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton. Additional support provided by Muziekgebouw Frits Philips Eindhoven and Holland Festival.
- 2 Electric Guitars; 1+pic.0.1+bcl.1/1110/timp.2perc/str
- 2 Electric Guitars
- 15 min
St. Carolyn by the Sea is based on an episode in the book Big Sur by the Beat Generation author Jack Kerouac. The composer translates Kerouac’s surreal hallucinations into an evocative soundscape. “When I wrote the piece I was in a state of emotional trauma”, admits Dessner. “It has a slight romantic intensity about it and it does shift states. It starts in this kind of sweet longing and then it moves into the more aggressive section and it has, obviously, a kind of triumphant ending.”
St. Carolyn By The Sea
- Bryce Dessner and Casco Phil
- 9th January 2023
- Casco Phil present two concerts with an all Bryce Dessner programme: Trombone Concerto, St. Carolyn by the Sea and Concerto for Two Pianos.
- Performances of Bryce Dessner in October and November
- 5th October 2022
- October and November bring us a wealth of music by Bryce Dessner in Europe.