Vacancy: Music Editor (Classical & Contemporary)
26th January 2018
THE CORE CONTRIBUTION:
To work in tandem with the Managing Editor on the publication of composer-related printed scores and materials controlled by Music Sales Group UK classical publishing companies (and sometimes by MSG affiliate companies without editorial resource), on a timely basis and to a high standard so as to enable the distribution of these published works on sale and on hire.
These detail the key areas of the job:
Shaping the Business
• Maintaining high standards of editorial accuracy and presentation for the company’s publications;
• Maintaining working relationships with freelance editors, typesetters and proofreaders as necessary and on terms appropriate to support the publishing schedules;
• Being an active part of the review of systems to maximize the efficiency and cost-effectiveness of the delivery of publishing schedules.
Developing the Product Offering
• Presenting for discussion ideas for new publications and series which have the potential to attract attention and produce income;
• Delivering the new works and editions in printed form for distribution on sale or hire;
• Contributing to the process of producing new composer or company catalogues as appropriate;
• Reviewing the back catalogue and identifying existing publications or performing materials in need of editorial attention and improvement;
• Delegating editorial, type-setting and proofing responsibility to individuals who are most appropriate to the job in hand.
Taking the Product and Service to the Customer/Market
• Delivering new publications and masters according to schedule;
• Taking direct responsibility for the delivery of new works by designated composers;
• Editing and proofreading publications as necessary;
• Circulating information on such new materials within the company.
Managing the Money
• Ensuring the delivery of new publications according to budget;
• Controlling setting, editorial and proofing costs within agreed parameters.
Managing Information and Knowledge
• Participating in overseeing the efficient application and maintenance of database resources within the Department;
• Proposing developments to existing database resources and systems to improve efficiency in this area;
• Overseeing the regular dissemination of new title/master information within the company.
The Job-Holder has all necessary direct access to the data, systems and human resources required to realise these responsibilities.
The Job-Holder may be called upon to:
• Identify areas for improvement;
• Evaluate and selecting ideas for improvement;
• Propose ideas for new systems to support the publication of new titles;
• Encourage others to come forward with innovation.
The Job-Holder has to work collaboratively with a range of internal people and departments including:
• Music Sales Editorial/Production
• Managing Director, Chester Music Ltd / Novello & Co Ltd
The Job-Holder has to liaise, influence and negotiate with a range of people and organisations including:
• The Company’s composers
• Managers and agents of the composers;
• Freelance editors, typesetters and proofreaders;
• Editorial staff within the Music Sales Group’s affiliated companies;
The Job-Holder is also responsible for responding to related enquiries received from members of the public and to publish submissions.
Many editorial projects require the Job-Holder to be able to deliver new publications according to short-term and specific deadlines. The Job-Holder must be able to manage many projects at once and to identify and successfully to identify and respond to priorities.
DELEGATED DECISION RIGHTS
The Job-Holder has full authority to:
• Delegate projects to freelance typesetters, editors and proofreaders within agreed parameters
If you are interested in the role please email your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application deadline: 9 am, Friday 2 March