with Esa-Pekka Salonen and the Philharmonia.
Available worldwide for $13.99/£9.99 at the App Store or itunes.com/appstore for iPad 2, 3, 4 and iPad mini. Watch a video of the app in action HERE.
The Orchestra, the App created by Touchpress, in partnership with Rite Digital and Music Sales has won an award in the Innovative Learning category in the App Store Best of 2013.
Music Sales, Touchpress, Esa-Pekka Salonen and the Philharmonia Orchestra have joined forces to create The Orchestra - a ground-breaking iPad app, giving unprecedented interactive exploration of orchestral music and instruments.
Released on December 6, 2012, this extraordinary app presents eight specially filmed performances, featuring extended extracts from:
Haydn Symphony No 6
Beethoven Symphony No 5
Berlioz Symphonie fantastique
Debussy Prélude à l'après midi d'un faune
Mahler Symphony No 6
Stravinsky The Firebird
Lutoslawski Concerto for Orchestra
Salonen Violin Concerto, soloist Leila Josefowicz
- High quality films of eight performances presented in ground-breaking format. Solo conductor view alongside two edits following the most active players and instrumental sections
- Performances are synchronised with three different score-view options: full score; short score curated by Esa-Pekka Salonen; simplified score
- Orchestral BeatMap highlights the active instrumental sections
- Optional audio and/or subtitle commentaries on each piece from Esa-Pekka Salonen and the Philharmonia musicians
- Video interview with Esa-Pekka Salonen, talking about the featured pieces and discussing conducting them
- Watch and listen to the Philharmonia musicians demonstrate their instruments and explain their individual roles within the orchestra
- Insightful texts giving historical and musical background on each of the orchestral pieces and orchestral instruments
- Available worldwide for $13.99/£9.99 at the App Store or at iTunes.
The Music Sales Group
Music Sales is an international family of wholly owned companies with interests in music copyrights, printed music, book publishing, digital publishing and music retail. The music publishing companies, including Chester Music, form the world's largest independent holdings of classical music. Chester Music is proud to publish the music of Esa-Pekka Salonen alongside the other great composers of the 20th and 21st centuries, including Stravinsky, Barber, Lutoslawski, de Falla, Saariaho, Glass and Tavener.
musicsales.com | musicsalesclassical.com | musicroom.com
Many diverse talents make our vision for Touchpress a reality. Our founding team brings together several renowned individuals - who collectively represent decades of experience in publishing, software development, media production and interaction design. Books are one of the defining inventions of the civilisation - and today they are poised for a revolution. Our aim is to create a new kind of book that makes use of emerging technology to redefine the book, reinvent publishing, and forever transform the act of reading.
Acknowledged as the UK's foremost musical pioneer, with an extraordinary recording legacy, the Philharmonia Orchestra leads the field for its quality of playing, and for its innovative approach to audience development, residencies, music education and the use of new technologies - including digital installations such as the multi-award-winning Re-RITE, webcasts, podcasts, downloads and computer games - in reaching a global audience. Together with its relationships with the world's most sought-after artists, most importantly its Principal Conductor Esa-Pekka Salonen, the Philharmonia is at the heart of British musical life.
Rite Digital is a digital media production company, specialising in film, websites, installations and live production, in particular for arts organisations. Using skills and expertise built up by the Philharmonia Orchestra's digital department over a number of years, we create engaging and innovative projects using technology.